Outside Sewer Cleanout Crete, IL
An outside cleanout is an external entry point to your main sewer line that can be opened and closed to allow for cleaning, blockage removal and televising.
Outside sewer cleanouts are usually found in your yard and are identified by a round cap or vitreous clay pipe usually found flush with the ground.
Why Your Home Should Have An Outside Sewer Cleanout
An outside cleanout gives our technicians easy access to your sewer line so they can clear any and all blockages from your line, including:
- Baby wipes
- Paper backups
- Feminine hygiene products
- Objects such as toys, clothing, diapers or other debris
Sewer Rodding without a Cleanout
Without an outside cleanout, sewer rodding is done through other means, such as through a toilet collar. When rodding through a toilet collar, only 4-inch cutter blades can be used and the cable used to rod must be very flexible due to the many turns in the line. Rodding from a toilet collar doesn’t guarantee an effective rodding job because once the 4-inch blade reaches the area of the larger 6-inch pipe where it reaches the city main, it cannot effectively clear away all of the roots and blockages in your line.
So your sewer will get open but chances are you’ll be calling us again for service in the near future. This method is also usually messier, more time consuming and more expensive than rodding from an accessible outside cleanout, and we do not guarantee sewer rodding done using this method.
Outside cleanouts are the easiest means to access your sewer line for thorough and effective cleaning. In fact, the state of Illinois requires that all new construction homes must have an outside cleanout installed on the property.
Benefits of Installing a Sewer Cleanout
There are several benefits to having an outside cleanout installed on your property:
- Outside cleanouts provide an easy access point for effective sewer rodding using large cutter heads to remove tree roots and other blockages.
- With an outside cleanout, you avoid possible water damage, pipe damage and repair and restoration expenses that can happen when rodding is done from an inside cleanout.
- When installed at or near the cast to clay connection, outside cleanouts allow us to easily use 4-inch cutting blades to eliminate stubborn tree roots and blockages that commonly happen at these connections.
- Outside cleanouts prevent a mess being made in your home. When rodding from an outside cleanout, there’s no need for technicians to prep the area like they would do if rodding from an inside cleanout. So if there is any overflow, it’s spilling outside of your home, not inside it!
What To Expect During Outside Cleanout Installation
Outside cleanout installation is done when your sewer is not backing up. This gives us the best option of determining the best location for your cleanout. And if you have broken or bad sections of sewer pipe in your line, we can see them with our camera and remove them before installing your new cleanout.
The first thing we do before installing an outside cleanout on your property is electronically locate your sewer line with our camera so we know exactly where it lies. On the day of your installation, we first place boards down on your property to place the dirt as we dig and to keep our work area clean.
Once we determine the most ideal spot for your cleanout location, we excavate down to your sewer line, either by hand or with a tractor, depending on the depth. Next, we clip out an approximately four foot section of clay tile and install a PVC riser with a cap on it. We then bed the new pipe in stone, then backfill with the existing dirt. Once your cleanout is installed, we rod your sewer line from the new cleanout using the largest cutter blades possible.
Sewer Cleanout Pros
Reach out to Reid & Pederson Drainage today to discuss getting an outside sewer cleanout installed. Installing an outside cleanout can relieve you from the stress and headaches associated with repeated sewer problems and the need for repeated sewer roddings!
Crete Sewer Cleanout FAQ
Learn More About Outside Cleanouts in Crete & Beyond
Check out our blog posts below for some helpful info, expert tips and more!